(photo by Kristen Chavez)
Many rub recipes are for particular kinds of meat, but here’s an all-purpose rub that’s good with everything from chicken to pork, beef to bologna. Shoot, it’s even good on popcorn.
Makes a bit less than 3 cups
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup seasoned salt (such as Lawry’s)
- 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Mix the ingredients thoroughly. This keeps indefinitely, sealed and refrigerated.
From Barbecue by John Shelton Reed, a “Savor the South” cookbook (The University of North Carolina Press, 2016). Reed, Kenan Professor of Sociology Emeritus, is co-founder of The Campaign for Real Barbecue (TrueCue.org). His many books include Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue (now in paperback), also published by UNC Press.
Listen to a podcast with John Shelton Reed about the book, Barbecue.